Thursday, January 23, 2014

piet mondrian @ CF, january art roundup and #JoanWatsonAppreciationWeek

Hello! Since the month's coming to an end (and before my spring semester starts next week), I figured I'd write a post on what I've been up to since I've been here last.

As the title suggests, I have several points to cover in this blog post, so I apologize if it's a bit sloppy.

First things first -- my second post over at the Fashion Inspired by Art column of College Fashion is up.



So far the internship is very fun -- I have a list of artists I'm definitely featuring for my semester at College Fashion, and I'm excited to see what I can come up with. If there's an artist whose work you'd like to see incorporated into an outfit, feel free to let me know via email or in the comments section.

Alright, now I'll be moving on to matters adjacent to television. If you follow me on Tumblr, you already know how much I adore Elementary on CBS (and how madly in love I am with Lucy Liu). I tend to say it's one of my favorite shows, but let's be honest -- it's probably my favorite show, period.

That being said, the rest of this post will be Elementary adjacent -- if you haven't watched it yet or are still waiting for a sign to orient you towards it, this is your sign. (If you've been hesitant because you feel that Watson being a woman of color is ~*~blasphemy~*~ or ~*~a bastardization of the Sherlock Holmes canon~*~, I recommend you start unlearning this harmful mindset, and understand not only why characters like Joan Watson are important, but why representation seriously matters.)

Anyway, moving along to avoid a potential rant (and there have been many since the show's inception): I've done quite a lot of fanart of the show, and after a while of not tending to my drawings, with the new year came a flood of creative energy. I've drawn more than I expected to this month, actually. Little else inspires me to draw more than my favorite Sherlock Holmes adaptation -- not to mention Joan Watson, who stands as my go-to character to draw when I need to warm up my artistic side.

Click the thumbnails below to go to their original posts on Tumblr, which also include links to view larger versions and pages for their respective collection of products at my Society6 store. Fair warning: if you're not caught up with season 2, you might want to scroll past this if you don't want to get spoiled.


 
            
   

(There's still a bit of January to go, so I'll include any pieces completed after this entry in my next post.)

That last piece took me a particularly long time to finish, but it was worth it! If you follow the Elementary writers on Twitter you might have already seen their retweet of my portrait recreation alongside the hashtag, #JoanWatsonAppreciationWeek -- which is what I'll be talking about next.

Read about #JoanWatsonAppreciationWeek here, and look through its tag on Twitter and Tumblr to see everyone's contributions. What could make me happier than a week dedicated to the leading lady in my heart? My favorite part of it so far has been those channeling their inner consulting detective and dressing up in Watson-esque outfits. Did I hop on that bandwagon?

You bet I did (of course I did). I put together a total of five outfits.

  

(Have I gone overboard with my Watson love? Probably not. Hardly enough to express how much I appreciate Joan Watson and everything she does and stands for.) Joan Watson has been monumental in helping me develop my personal style. Without her I'd have never gotten over my strange aversion to wearing skirts and heels. I never knew how to wear them, and Watson taught me how to rock both in one outfit. And if there's a valuable lesson Watson has taught, it's that it's never too late to try something new, and that it's perfectly okay to partake in something later than what you or others might expect


Right, well, that's all I have for now! I'll be back soon. I only have a few days of winter break left so I'll be spending them wisely. And by 'wisely' I mean drawing things, window shopping, having coffee with friends...and yeah, okay, marathoning Elementary as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment