Wednesday, January 27, 2016

a painting for sj walton


I've admired my friend Jo's paintings for years, and always found myself in awe whenever she'd post photos of her works in progress. If you follow me on Tumblr, you're probably familiar with her work, as I can never resist reblogging them the instant I come across them on my dashboard.

My current painting spree was preceded by an approximate six year absence, at some point during which I first came across Jo's artwork and photography. I really owe it to her and her beautiful paintings for inspiring me to get back into traditional work. Seeing them just made me want to pick up my brushes again and test my hand at a style I've never quite practiced, as well as play around with colors I hardly reach for. After completing a few paintings to warm me up to the medium again, it only felt right to proceed with this one. 

The above watercolor and gouache painting (on an acrylic canvas -- I haven't used a canvas since high school) was inspired by her style, and I'll be sending it to her soon. It was an absolute delight to create, and I can't wait for her to receive it!

I've lost count of how many times I've showed my friends Jo's portfolio. I'm looking forward to displaying prints of her work around the apartment one day, and not only that -- I'm considering getting a tattoo channelling her moleskine designs at some point. 



No comments:

Post a Comment